Sorry I have been such a bad blogger these last two months.
As per usual, it’s been a busy time. Last time I posted the volunteers were
gearing up to go on the volunteer retreat. Since then the retreat has come and
gone (it feels like it was way longer than 2 months ago), I went home to the
States for a two week visit, and new volunteers have arrived!
First, I’ll do some back tracking. The volunteer retreat was
a lot of fun. We went to Lago de Yojoa, which is frequently referred to simply
as “Lago” (lake) because there’s basically one lake (or one worth knowing) in
all of Honduras and it’s HUGE. We stayed at a place that is both a
lodge/retreat and brewery! Unfortunately, we never actually went to or in the
lake but we went on a pretty awesome hike with amazing views of the lake (yes,
pictures to follow).
In June I went home for 2 weeks for a friend’s wedding and
to visit family and friends. As much as I love Honduras and the Ranch it was SO
GOOD to go home. Seattle did not disappoint and had beautiful, amazing weather
the whole time I was home. I’d forgotten about how nice it is to have such long
summer days. Since we’re much closer to the equator our days are about the same
length year round, meaning it gets dark around 6:30.
The new group of volunteers arrived while I was in the
States so there were 6 new faces when I got back. The volunteer house is very
full right now. The newbies are living in the dorms and in another two weeks
the old volunteers (the ones who have now been here a full year) will be moving out and the new ones will get their own
rooms. I can’t believe that soon I’m going to be an “old” volunteer! I feel
like I just got here.
This last weekend was a really fun one. My roommate,
Christiane, accidentally ran into some members of (what appears to be really
small) climbing community in Honduras. Through the connections she made we
(Christiane, Christina, and I) went climbing at a location close to
Tegucigalpa. It was amazing! None of us had any of our climbing equipment so
they loaned us everything we needed. We started with a really beautiful
40-meter rappel into the ravine where we would be climbing. From there we spent
the entire day lead and top rope climbing, enjoying the scenery, and finding
out more about the climbing scene in Honduras.
And now, lots and lots of pictures to make up for my lack of
posts recently…
 |
| Kendra and I had proyecto familiar with a super fun family of sisters and cousins! |
 |
| Sisters and cousins. |
 |
| Making our way to the start of the hike during the volunteer retreat. |
 |
| Kailyn and Michael |
 |
| View from the top of the near vertical hike - Lago de Yojoa |
 |
| Two of my favorite people - Val and Kendra - on the volunteer retreat |
 |
| Sometimes you just need to be held and take a post-lunch nap |
 |
| And sometimes you just fall asleep at the nurses station... |
 |
| Hanging out behind hogar making tajaditos (fried plantain chips) |
 |
| And then there was that time when it rained all day during a brigade and the ceiling sprung a leak... |
 |
| Milagro, my favorite little girl |
 |
| Sitting on the deck during my visit home, Hood Canal did not disappoint. |
 |
| Some of my awesome labor and delivery coworkers from Harrison! |
 |
| Sonya (the bride) with her two awesome Maids of Honor. |
 |
| We clean up real nice. |
 |
| Seattle skyline from the my ferry ride back after the wedding. |
 |
Another awesome proyecto group of sisters!
|
 |
| 6 patients all lined up getting their IV fluids on diabetes day. |
 |
| My birthday came and went while I was in the States so my girls threw me a surprise birthday party when I got back and I was determined to get at least one pictures with all (okay, most) of them in it. |
 |
| And now a silly picture! |
 |
| The view near the top of where we started our rappel. |
 |
| Christina hanging out, waiting till it's time to go. |
 |
| Christiane enjoying some sun and waiting on the rest of our group. |
 |
| Christiane starting out with a lead climb. |
 |
| Climbing climbing... |
 |
| Such a fun first climb in Honduras! |
 |
| Just following that crack allllllll the way up. |
 |
| Christina and I climbing. |
 |
| Real friends trade shoes with you in the middle of the wall. |
 |
| Christiane working a difficult route. |
 |
| Getting ready to climb again while Freddy, one of our awesome guides, takes a break. |
 |
| Hector showing us how it's done. |
 |
| Woohoo!! Waiting for the bus after an awesome day :) |
No comments:
Post a Comment