As always, yes, it has been another busy month. Time
flies by here. I absolutely cannot believe that it is May.
If someone told me it was still March I would probably believe them.
Here, on the ranch, we walk a LOT. A lot a lot. Most
mornings I walk about ¾ of a mile down to the external clinic then in the
afternoon I walk back (mostly uphill) to my house and then up to the internal
clinic (also uphill). Every day I walk to hogar in the evenings and usually a
few other places in my errands or what have you. The point is, the ranch is a
big place and majority of our transportation involves our own two feet. It’s
always a good day when you can get a jalón (a hitchhike or a ride) from one
part of the ranch to another, especially when it’s really hot.
Speaking of hot – oh my goodness has it been hot lately. The
last two weeks have been insanely hot (at least by Western Washington
standards). We were hitting high 90s and occasionally 100s almost every day,
we’d be in the 80s once the sun went down and we might hit mid 70s by 5am
before the sun came up again. Now imagine working in a clinic with no air
conditioning (hahaha air conditioning…what’s that?!), traipsing up a hill every
day around 1ish when the sun is at its strongest, and wearing scrubs. Surprisingly,
as hot as it was, it wasn’t completely unbearable. I was actually really scared
for this time of year because I wasn’t sure that I would be able to handle the
heat. I somehow managed (frozen yogurt in the freezer helped) and now it seems
like the worst of it is over. The May rain began on April 29th. We
had the most epic tormenta (storm). It made me really happy. It poured and
poured and poured and we had an amazing lightening show that lasted hours.
Everyone is very thankful for the rain. This month it has been very smoky
outside due to the wildfires burning in the surrounding mountains. Our water
levels on the ranch have also been extremely low. I was told about a two weeks
ago that we only had two weeks worth of water left on the ranch. I’m not sure
what would have happened if we’d actually ran out of water but luckily the
rains came before that happened.
Anyway…I had a point to all of this and then got sidetracked
on other points. The point is…I walk a lot and during all this walking I frequently
have brilliant thoughts about things that would be good to share on my blog
(okay, so they’re probably not brilliant, but interesting at least). The
problem is that I’ve usually forgotten most of these interesting tidbits by the
time I go to actually write a blog post. As such, I’ve started jotting down
notes in my phone to remind me of some of these points later. So here goes
another installation of:
Cheque Wachiman
(aka
interesting/funny/strange Honduran/Ranch factoids)
The power here may go out for the
entire day, part of the day, or be on again/off again as many as 10 (or more)
times in one day. Luckily at the clinic we have a generator that kicks in
literally the second the power goes out but that doesn’t stop the computer from
completely shutting down. Also, if we’re running on generator power we only
have one outlet that gets power (the one the computer is plugged in to) so in
order to do nebulizations we have to unplug the computer monitor in order to
plug in the neb machine.
- Our
kids don’t have an awkward phase
We all just recently realized this
when we had a group of middle schoolers visit from the United States. As middle
schoolers they were at the height of their awkward phase, which made it really
entertaining to compare them with our kids of the same age. I think it has
something to do with all growing up together. Everything is out in the open.
There is literally no secret that is safe on the ranch. Everyone (kids
included) is always involved in everyone else’s business. It’s just a fact of
life here. Somehow this translates to no awkward phase. At least our kids miss
out on one part of life that most of us wish we could have skipped (or forget).
Bugs are just a fact of life here.
We live on a ranch in the middle of the country side – ergo: bugs. Currently
the mosquitoes are driving me nuts, but only at night and I haven’t actually
been bit much, I just hear them buzzing. We have the usual spiders (some bigger
than others). We also have scorpions. I’ve yet to see any big ones alive but
I’ve seen my share of babies. We also are in the season of the chicharra
(cicadas). Having grown up in Western Washington I had never seen or heard a
cicada in my life. What a weird sound! The first time I heard it I was sitting
by some electrical wires and I thought that’s where the sound was coming from.
I was a little concerned something was about to explode. The kids love catching
them and one of my girls even found one with an injured wing and made it a pet
for a while. The newest bugs are the ronrones (I think that’s how it’s
spelled…maybe? That’s how it’s spelled phonetically anyway). These are very odd
bugs that look sort of like big hazelnuts with wings (though I’ve yet to
actually seen any fly). I seem to just always find them crawling around on the
ground or dead or dying. They literally die almost as fast as they come into
being. I’m not really sure what their purpose is but sweeping them up sure is a
pain.
Coming up next weekend is volunteer retreat at a surprise
location! More to come on that…
But until next time…here’s a bunch of pictures!
 |
| Getting ready for a night out in Tegus |
 |
| Michell x2 |
 |
| Hanging out with Ivania |
 |
| My girls love taking silly photos, especially with my phone... |
 |
| Real Hondurans eat with their hands...my girls wanted to show everyone proof that I'm becoming Honduran... |
 |
| We don't call it the Ranch for nothing... |
 |
| This was an evening of lots of giggling. Sometimes you just need to put your feet up. |
 |
| My girls had to work in the granja (farm) one Saturday, so obviously I took pictures of baby animals... |
 |
| This is a cicada or chicharra. I actually think they're kind of cute with their big bug eyes. Yes, that is my hand. |
 |
| Part of my walk back from the external clinic one day. |
 |
| One of the families I had proyecto familiar with. And Matias. |
 |
| One of my girls found a toad. So she got her picture taken. |
 |
| The "selfie" concept is a cross-cultural phenomenon. Clearly. |
 |
| No blog post is complete without a picture of Mili. She's walking now by herself and she can almost say my name! |
 |
| Mojito sleeps on rare occasions... |
 |
| My love of Harry Potter has become a survival skill...This is how I manage 11 patients in the clinic during a night shift... |
 |
| 5am. Apparently this is comfortable. |
 |
| Cutting veggies to put in omelets for a Volunteer Dinner of breakfast food. |
 |
| Christianne working hard making breakfast. |
 |
| Tortilla making masters for our HUGE proyecto familiar with all of the año familiar girls (girls doing their year of service before going to university) working in the baby's house and girls hogars. |
 |
| Fruits of our labors: delicious! |
 |
| One box cake, one Austrian cake and one banana bread - we really like dessert. |
 |
| Prepping the veggies for baleadas. |
No comments:
Post a Comment