To elaborate on the getting here part: It involved taking a
3 hour bus (that was late) from Copán to San Pedro Sula and then taking another
4 hour bus (also late) to Tegucigalpa. At the bus station we were met by the
Volunteer Coordinator and packed into the van to go to the ranch. It was a VERY
long day in arriving but so worth it. I remember after arriving and putting our
stuff down we went up on the roof and I looked around and said, “I cannot
believe we live here now.” It was so surreal. Leaving Copán was much harder
than I had anticipated. After how hard the first couple of days were it was
nice to finally feel familiar with a place and know my way around. But it was
also time to move on.
To be honest, so far it feels a little bit like camp. All of
us girls live in two dorms; I live with the other Austrian girls that I met in
Copán. Upon arriving we all had a plate, cup and spoon sitting on our beds
along with our monthly ration of toilet paper, bar of soap, and toothpaste. We also have scary toilets without toilet seats that we have to flush
with a spigot over the tank and we have cold showers. When I say cold showers I
mean COLD: take your breath away, shriek like a girl, and wash your hair and
body as fast as possible while running in place under the water. I am not a fan of this. In a few weeks we’ll move
into individual rooms with a roommate where we will have more normal toilets
and warmer water for showers. Till then…my showers will be mighty short.
This week has been busy. We’ve been in orientation all week
and will be for another few days before starting to work with the current
volunteers in our new jobs. We have met with tons of people to learn what the
different offices are and what everyone does to support NPH and the Ranch.
We’ve also gone on lots of walks and tours throughout the Ranch. Some of the
highlights for me were: hiking to the represa (dam), spending an afternoon in
hortaliza (the garden), Día de Diabetes, and a day trip to Tegus for the first
time and buying groceries! Groceries are important because you become obsessed
with food here. I’m already a bit sick of rice and beans for breakfast (for
other meals it’s fine but for breakfast…eh). We do have some variety though. We
get salad with some meals and for breakfast occasionally we get panqueques
(pancakes) or oatmeal or cereal. I’ll elaborate more on the food at a later
date.
Día de Diabetes was really interesting and a very long day.
On this day all of the patients at the external clinic who have diabetes come
on the same day to have their blood sugar checked, see the doctor, and get
their medications refilled. We started very early at 0430. We did preclinic by
checking in each patient and checking their blood sugar, blood pressure, and
weight. After that they all get a diabetic friendly breakfast (or as best as we
can). For breakfast we served plátanos, beans, cheese and sugar free kool-aid.
It was nice to be able to spend some time in the clinic and get a little more
acquainted with what we’ll be doing there.
Also, I’m going to start a section of my blog on occasion
called: Cheque Wachiman
This is essentially where I tell funny, absurd, and bizarre
things that happen or I learn.
Cheque means about the equivalent of “okay, cool.”
Wachiman is what we call the security guards at the gate and
that roam the grounds.
I think both of these words are hilarious.
For my first installation:
Cheque Wachiman
Fun Honduran Game:
Chocolate frosting or frijoles
(beans)?
Platanos (plantains) or banana or
banano (banano may or may not be the same thing as a banana, this has yet to be determined)
Sleeping or dead (this mostly
applies to Matías the cat and resident beggar of the volunteer house – she’s
always alive though)
Sometimes black beans are so smooth and well blended for
things like making baleadas (traditional Honduran food) that they look like
chocolate frosting…especially when they’re in a bowl next to vanilla cake.
Raphael had the unfortunate experience of putting frijoles on his cake.
Plátanos are eaten frequently here with lunch or dinner. I
am not a fan of plátanos. I love bananas but plátanos and I are not friends.
Maybe they’ll grow on me.
Until my next post!
| Matías the cat. Matías is a girl but was graced with a boy's name, possibly for being annoying. |
| First night Fogata (fire) to welcome the newbies. |
| A typical afternoon in Casa San Vicente (volunteer house) |
| The view from the roof. |
| On our first hike to the represa (dam). Don't worry, I have permission to post this picture. And it's too great not to! |
| The pond behind the dam. |
| Some crazies in the water. |
| Casa San Vicente peaking through the trees of hortaliza (the garden) |
| The view from Hortaliza |
| Hanging out in Hortaliza |
| Fresh tomatoes for snacking on during our walk. |
| The view from the internet hut. this is the playground by the girl's houses. |
I second all of this! You're making me so nostalgic for my first weeks! I'm so excited for you and wish you the best! Vaya pues!
ReplyDelete